• Breaking News

    Friday, March 20, 2020

    Wood working Weekly Discussion Thread: Do you build your own tools and jigs? What is the best shop built tool in your shop?

    Wood working Weekly Discussion Thread: Do you build your own tools and jigs? What is the best shop built tool in your shop?


    Weekly Discussion Thread: Do you build your own tools and jigs? What is the best shop built tool in your shop?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 11:42 AM PDT

    The great thing about being a maker and woodworker is the not only the ability to make a thing but to fashion unique tools you don't have to make other things. Over the years I've proven to myself beyond doubt that building your own tool isn't necessarily cheaper, but it is more satisfying overall. (The same can be said of all woodworking) I figured I'd post some of the jigs and tools I've built first and others could post some of theirs. Which of your self-made tools is the most useful to you?

    Sometimes I build my own tools for increased precision, such as a jig for chiseling out the "knuckles" of a Roubo Bookstand, sometimes I just need a more economical means of storing tools in a small shop, or sometimes I have a slight need for something but end up having way too much fun building it to stop. I think I have just as much fun building up my shop and the tools in it as I do making anything else. but that's the hobby. Here are a few others:

    Small crosscut sled and a miter attachment.

    A smattering of other tools, including a Moxon vise, magnetic dovetail guides, and dovetail alignment board.

    I made a DIY vacuum pump specifically for vacuum bag veneering. It was a prime example of it being more expensive to build than buy, but whaddayagonnado?

    One of the best additions to my shop has been a 3D printer. Now I can get even more inventive and design things specifically for my needs and that fit perfectly that I might otherwise not be able to build. No one makes a sliding-gate siamese for your dust collection? No problem, a few hours in Fusion 360 and a lot more in print time and you're golden. This is the only thing in the woodshop I've taken pictures of, but I keep finding uses for it in my house and shop than my original intended purpose for it.

    So what are your favorite shop-made tools? Which ones should new woodworkers build for their fledgling shops?

    submitted by /u/Squeazle
    [link] [comments]

    Made my first cutting board. Not perfect, but its mine.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 08:00 AM PDT

    Had a friend turn a handle for a fly rod I'm building, it's too beautiful for me not to share.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 07:17 PM PDT

    almost done and pretty happy with the balcony deck i build

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 08:27 AM PDT

    Baby yoda

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    A blanket chest I made using quarter sawn Cherry

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    New key and leash rack made out of my old skateboards

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 04:40 PM PDT

    Finish! Mantaray in pear wood

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 09:18 AM PDT

    Oak and walnut, wireless charging, Bluetooth amp, hand cut castle joints, pop-up light

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    The wife liked her birthday present

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 09:14 PM PDT

    Making more LEGO inspired minifig lamps.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 06:45 PM PDT

    Just finished turning my new shaving brush handle for a HMW badger knot.. black palm. I think it matches the brush nicely.. thoughts?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 03:44 PM PDT

    Swedish chef

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 03:18 PM PDT

    Making the most of my quarantine time and made a cabinet for my mud room

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 07:07 PM PDT

    My first go at a spoon and second ever whittle

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    A gift for my father

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 09:07 PM PDT

    It’s not perfect but it’s my first project and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 05:21 PM PDT

    Let’s take a moment to talk about shop safety...

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    I made a couch table with laminated ply and white oak. It’s pretty solid

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 05:43 AM PDT

    Keep calm and build something. �� Much love

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 08:21 AM PDT

    Picture of the desk, video takes sometime to load and is in poor quality. Oak and walnut with wireless charging, Bluetooth amp, and pop-up light.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    First post here! - Behind the couch bar top from reclaimed wood

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 11:38 AM PDT

    My first quarantine project, a dice and pencil box. Wenge, Sapele, zebrawood, walnut, and oak. Finished with teak oil.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 06:50 AM PDT

    Butcher block top console table I just finished. Trying to make the best use of my time. Been thinking about this idea for a while and finally brought it to life!

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment