• Breaking News

    Monday, April 6, 2020

    Wood working Weekly Quick Questions, Wood ID, and Deal or No Deal /r/Woodworking Megathread

    Wood working Weekly Quick Questions, Wood ID, and Deal or No Deal /r/Woodworking Megathread


    Weekly Quick Questions, Wood ID, and Deal or No Deal /r/Woodworking Megathread

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 06:12 AM PDT

    Use this thread to ask your quick questions & how-tos, ask what wood species something it, and to either show any good Craigslist/etc finds you've come across or ask if something is a good deal.

    If you'd like a cool place to hang out and chat, come join us in the sub Discord: https://discord.gg/KtrHssN

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Special Lockdown Challenge: 2x4 Buildoff!

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 01:24 PM PDT

    There's no need to go into why, but we're all locked down for an indeterminate amount of time. The Mods and I wanted to think of a way to help keep our minds off current events and coordinate a challenge that wouldn't require some trips to closed stores. I hazard a guess that a good number of us have a 2x4 floating around the shop, so lets make some lemonade from those timbers!Wait a minute....


    Announcing the Lockdown Special 2x4 Build Challenge!


    Contest Rules

    • The project must be made of a single 2x4 no longer than 8'. No other material may be used in the finished product.

    • You can build anything or everything you want, as long as it is constructed from the 2x4.

    • Screws, nails, dowels, and dominoes are all acceptable forms of joinery.

    • Any finishing method is allowed. (Poly, Shellac, Stain, Paint, Soap, whathaveyou)

    • No other materials are allowed. Any use of leather, metal banding, plywood bottoms, knobs, etc will result in a disqualification.


    Submission Guidelines

    To enter you must document your build from raw materials to completed project. The documentation does not need to be an extensive how-to, just an overview of the build. You must include a photo of the 2x4 used before processing! Any questionable/skeptical entries will be reviewed by the mod team for a final decision.

    Use whatever image hosting service you like and post the link to /r/woodworking. The key here is it needs to be apparent that you've built the entry. Submissions of finished photos only will not be accepted.

    Send me (/u/Clock_Man) a PM with your album (imgur, simplecove, etc) link and link to your post if you've made one. If you leave a comment on this post with your entry, I will likely not catch it and you won't be entered in. Once entries close the winner will be chosen by popular vote.

    The winner will be given a virtual high five because don't touch me!


    Contest runs from today April 6th until May 18th


    Entries

    submitted by /u/Clock_Man
    [link] [comments]

    Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, PLAGUE STICK: Opener of doors, presser of the buttons... Defender of the Purity! Simple project that allows me to get into and out of my office as an essential worker.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 03:02 PM PDT

    My wife’s son passed away before I met her. Through her and her daughter I feel I almost know him. We have a picture of him hanging in our living room in a cheap plastic frame. I wanted to honor his memory so I’m making him a nicer frame. Added frames to the list of “can do”

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    I made a 600 LED programmable infinity mirror coffee table!

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 04:00 AM PDT

    I made a coaster

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 10:44 AM PDT

    Liquor cabinet I built a number of years ago. Getting lighter during quarantine.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 05:14 PM PDT

    Brook trout wood carving and walnut base I recently finished.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    My first quarantined build… no going to the store allowed.Black walnut top and custom steel base… Even twisted the end detail myself!

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    I just completed the wooden shroud for my patio pond. I’m very happy with how it turned out!

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    Just finished turning my 1st Urn - 180 pieces - African Padauck, Black Walnut and English Walnut. With a 1/2 step twist pattern. It was quite a challenge, especially the lid.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 05:31 PM PDT

    I made the thing /u/MorsVitae posted the other day and I couldn’t be happier.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 05:46 PM PDT

    After nearly 9 years with my Skyrim map folded up in my drawer, I decided it was time to make a frame for it. Nothing complicated, but it’s very satisfying for me to finish my most procrastinated project ever.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 04:32 PM PDT

    Started woodworking by buying a Pocket hole jig, 95 holes later...

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 04:37 PM PDT

    My son needed a desk since he’s back from college

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    Am I doing this right?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 05:18 PM PDT

    Rocking chair in Walnut

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    Dresser for my son, expected end of May

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 05:26 AM PDT

    My wife wanted a kitchen island. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll be finishing it up

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    My first attempt at a real piece of furniture, plans compliments of "Good Clean Fun" authored by Nick Offerman. I learned a lot, first project with joinery. I'm happy and the wife approves too.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    Mountain themed shelves in walnut for the nursery

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    I made a frame with white walnut that fits all my instax photos! I created the indents with my table saw and held all the slats together with a flat cord in the back.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 06:17 PM PDT

    Western Red Cedar Arbor

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 06:10 PM PDT

    Made a pocket knife/knick knack holder

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 05:47 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment