• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 15, 2020

    Wood working Hey Everyone, let's have a quick chat

    Wood working Hey Everyone, let's have a quick chat


    Hey Everyone, let's have a quick chat

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:51 AM PST

    So it's been a while since the moderation team has done one of these posts, but there have been some small changes recently so we'd like to keep everyone in the loop. I'm not known for brevity, but I'll try to keep it light here. Any and all questions are welcomed in the comments. In addition please tell us if there is anything missing from the rules that you would like to see added.

    Rules

    These are located in the sidebar. Please have a look before posting or commenting. We are approaching 2 million subscribers and the only way to keep this sub on-topic and relevant is to strictly enforce the rules. Of note:

    Special Note - We DO NOT discuss politics or religion here. Ever. Those two things are never discussed civilly. Posts that feature firearms, crosses/religious symbols, or flags always go down a black hole of politics. COMMENT ON THE WOODWORKING ONLY. Any mention of anything else relating to firearms, gun control, locks, flags, patriotism, religion, the president or government, etc will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned.

    Similarly we are starting to see a lot of Marijuana related posts. Marijuana is legal in Canada and many parts of the United states now. COMMENT ON THE WOODWORKING ONLY. Your opinions on marijuana use are not appropriate discussion here and will be deleted.

    Rule 1 - Don't be rude/sexist/racist etc. This rule generates the most bans by far. And the most ban appeals. We've changed how we approach bans recently and violations are not automatic permanent bans anymore. However we do take this rule very seriously. There is a zero tolerance for any kind of lude/crude humor and you will be banned for at least a few days. Appeals fall on deaf ears. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse for breaking them.

    That does not mean this is a "safe space" free from anything even slightly offensive. Joking around is fine. We draw a hard line at sexual innuendo (dildo/butt plug references, "hard wood lol" among others) and outright rude, threatening, or harassing comments.

    Special rule 1 note - If a woman posts a project and she is pictured in it, it's not an invitation to hit on her, tell her how pretty she is, or make sexual jokes. That's super creepy and you will be permanently banned for a single offence.

    Rule 10 - Use a proper descriptive title. This is a new rule, and judging by the massive number of user reports; it will be appreciated. Posts with titles like "I know you guys will hate this, but I don't care", or the ever popular "I'm a fetus/4 year old and this is my first project", and of course the "Don't upvote/please downvote but.." titles. Your post will be deleted and you will be asked to resubmit it with a proper title that describes your work or question.

    Rule 2 - Project Posts are OC only - This also generates a lot of deleted posts. Basically if you didn't make it, do not post it. Before this rule, this sub was a collection of the same 10 viral videos/gifs that your great aunt tags you in on facebook every week. This sub is for woodworkers to discuss woodworking. Not for redditors to increase the FIP's (fake internet points). The only exception is if your child who is under 13 and ineligible to create a Reddit account made something. We get a lot of questions about older parents/grandparents who do not want a Reddit account, in which case you should respect their privacy and not post it. Those posts will be deleted.

    Rule 9 - No top-level wood ID, low effort, or price queries. The weekly sticky thread is awesome. If you haven't checked it out, you should. There is a lot of good conversations in there. showing off milled pieces of wood, oiling videos, price inquiries, tool scores, etc belong in there. If you post them they will be removed and you will be asked to add to the weekly sticky thread.

    Go make some sawdust,

    the /r/woodworking moderation team

    submitted by /u/joelav
    [link] [comments]

    End grain cutting board made from 157 pieces of black walnut, birdseye maple, and padauk.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 12:24 PM PST

    Made my first ever end-grain cutting board this time last year and wanted to share. Made with Purpleheart, Cherry, and Teak. Pretty proud of it.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:58 PM PST

    Federal table is done!

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 12:57 PM PST

    Made a stash box for Christmas. First box build. Chinese elm, black walnut, curly cherry, and Purple Heart

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:16 AM PST

    The Scrabble board I made as a Christmas present for my wife with help and guidance from a friend. The base is on lazy susan hardware. Hopefully the first of many projects!

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:47 PM PST

    My sister wanted a new coffee table for her small home that could also double as a daily dining space. We came up with this built-in lazy Susan concept to maximize the space. It’s made from branches that came down in my yard in a storm; made for a cool look I think. Excited to share this one.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 12:00 PM PST

    My very first inlay in a desk I made. Purple Heart in oak. It’s there so I know where to set my phone for the wireless charging pad underneath! My had for size.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 12:33 PM PST

    New house, new bench built, new hobby. Looking forward to the years ahead!

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 10:15 AM PST

    Two spoons I made this past year, the big on is cocobolo and the small one is padauk

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:43 PM PST

    Floor to ceiling custom library with rolling ladder. I built it onsite, off the tailgate of my truck. Still looks unfinished though.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:31 PM PST

    Just finished this end table

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:59 PM PST

    Side table I made in European oak.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:39 PM PST

    Before Christmas I asked this community for advice on what finish I should use on my viking chest. This is the result. I ended up with colored furniture wax because I wanted it to look old. Album in comments. Thanks again for all the great advice. I learned a lot.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 10:12 AM PST

    End grain cutting board I made for my mom. Maple, Cherry, and Walnut. First time doing a geometric pattern board. Very happy with how it turned out

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:27 PM PST

    My girlfriend whipped this up for me with a couple of trees I cut down! (Alberta Canada)

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:37 PM PST

    Secret Santa at work. I like to use the $20 limit on materials. First post!

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:01 PM PST

    We don’t do a lot of Face Frame cabinets here in Canada. I did them once, and found it a big pain in the butt. Having to use different hinges, build out the tracks. So I decided to do things a little different. Regular cabinets, then just built the frame that tucks around the cabinet.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:11 AM PST

    Cookie/lemonade stand I made for my daughter

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 12:38 PM PST

    I have over 400 board feet of this 120 year old pine. Have a few projects going with it and will post some when done

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:30 PM PST

    Coffe table I made in woodworking school

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 12:45 PM PST

    This “twist table” I made. Not actually too difficult to build!

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 04:08 PM PST

    Card scraping some live edge walnut

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:04 PM PST

    Finished my first axe handle and I am very proud

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:25 PM PST

    Youngest sibling (sister) wanted a TV stand for her wedding gift. Appreciate the feedback!

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 02:47 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment