• Breaking News

    Friday, August 21, 2020

    Wood working Contest Announcement: Plywood Challenge

    Wood working Contest Announcement: Plywood Challenge


    Contest Announcement: Plywood Challenge

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    We had such a good turnout with our 2x4 challenge earlier this year we'd like to do something similar with a bit more material to use this time around. Still accessible for everyone to participate and just enough field leveling to make it interesting.


    Announcing the Quarter Sheet Plywood Build Challenge!

    The overall rules are simple, build whatever you want, the only requirement is that you use nothing more than a 2'x4' sheet of plywood of your choice up to 3/4" in thickness. No use of solid wood or edgebanding is allowed! Don't worry, you can still make great stuff with plywood only.


    Contest Rules

    • The project must be made of a single quarter sheet (2'x4') of plywood. No other material may be used in the finished product.

    • You can build anything or everything you want, as long as it is constructed from the plywood sheet.

    • You may use any thickness of plywood you wish up to 3/4".

    • You may not mix and match plywood thicknesses within the starting dimensions. It must be one complete sheet to start from.

    • Any kind/brand of plywood is allowed. (MDF core, Lumber Core, Combo Core, Baltic Birch, ApplePly, Etc.)

    • Use of any other materials such as edgebanding or solid wood banding is not allowed. (This means store bought edgebanding. If you want to make edgebanding from the sheet of plywood itself, more power to you.)

    • Epoxy cannot be used as a structural memberlooking at you river tables, adhesive or finish only.

    • Screws, nails, dowels, and dominoes are all acceptable forms of joinery.

    • Any finishing method is allowed. (Poly, Shellac, Stain, Paint, Soap, Blood of your enemies)

    • Usage of other accessory materials such as hinges, leather straps, knobs, etc are allowed per mod approval. (ie ask first!)


    Submission Guidelines

    To enter you must document your build from raw materials to completed project. The documentation does not need to be an extensive how-to, just an overview of the build. You must include a photo of the plywood sheet used before processing! Verify dimensions in photo as well. Any questionable/skeptical entries will be reviewed by the mod team for a final decision.

    Use whatever image hosting service you like and post the link to /r/woodworking. The key here is it needs to be apparent that you've built the entry. Submissions of finished photos only will not be accepted.

    Send me (/u/Clock_Man) a PM with your album (imgur, simplecove, etc) link and link to your post if you've made one. If you leave a comment on this post with your entry, I will likely not catch it and you won't be entered in. Once entries close the winner will be chosen by popular vote.

    The winner will be given a virtual high five because don't touch me!


    Contest runs from today August 21st until September 28th. Entries close at midnight Pacific Time.


    submitted by /u/Clock_Man
    [link] [comments]

    Wifey saw a desk she wanted for $150, I said I could make that for half the price and twice as good, $300 later here is the result

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 06:54 AM PDT

    10yr olds first woodworking project.

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 07:02 PM PDT

    This was the first time I’ve ever done a bow tie inlay on a crack. Maple and ash.

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 03:44 PM PDT

    Here’s a media center I built modeled after a really expensive one my wife wanted. After 2 months, I can say it took a toll on my marriage, but not my wallet! Take that Pottery Barn!

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 05:35 PM PDT

    Walnut bar stool. Single piece

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    Stairs I made

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    Nothing fancy, but I'm proud of how this end table turned out! All work was done at our community woodshop.

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 02:35 PM PDT

    I made a set of lamps as my first pieces to try and peddle

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 04:36 AM PDT

    Bed frame made from standing dead aspen trees from my favorite hunting spot. Lightning scarred, bear clawed and elk rubbed to chaosed perfection.

    Posted: 20 Aug 2020 10:29 PM PDT

    Amateur 16 year old making pens because why not. Couple different woods like walnut, maple and some others i found in a box, second pic is my most recent

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    My friends dont participate in woodworking so they wouldnt understand my pride in my accomplishment. Looks like yall are my friends tonight

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 06:41 PM PDT

    Here's my attempt at making a zaisu chair. Almost all of my none work-related projects are made from hardwoods I scavenge from discarded furniture.

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 03:50 PM PDT

    A toolchest I made a while back...

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 08:04 AM PDT

    Something whiskey this way comes....

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    Made myself a Dodecahedron light fixture

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 04:19 PM PDT

    I built a spoon cooker!

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    My first attempt at woodworking. Not very refined, but my kiddos each have a desk now.

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 03:37 PM PDT

    Full purpleheart wood longboard/cruiser. This thing is a tank, but a ton of fun. Perfectly imperfect!

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 04:29 PM PDT

    Hand Carved Masks Inspired by the video game Legend of Zelda

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 04:34 AM PDT

    Finally finished my year 12 major work! (Australia HSC)

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    Side table for my wifes craft stuff, made entirely of free pallets. Came out flippen fantastic!

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 06:14 PM PDT

    I made my first pieces of furniture. Couple of night stands for a friend. All reclaimed teak, cedar, dug fir and knotty pine.

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    Murphy bed I made! Nothing fancy compared to what all you can do but proud none the less. The correct dimensions and hinge placement was more complicated than originally thought. I can honestly say this was a heck of a lot cheaper than a store bought Murphy bed.

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 06:52 PM PDT

    When there's a sale on Bessey clamps cheaper than Harbor Freight clamps.

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 06:03 PM PDT

    I’m going to be spending a lot of time at home with school being mostly online. I wanted a nice desk that I’d be comfortable and happy with, so I built one. Made a LOT of mistakes but I’m very happy for what I’ve learned throughout the process.

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment