• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 24, 2020

    Wood working Weekly Discussion Thread: Do you build your own tools and jigs? What is the best shop built tool in your shop?

    Wood working Weekly Discussion Thread: Do you build your own tools and jigs? What is the best shop built tool in your shop?


    Weekly Discussion Thread: Do you build your own tools and jigs? What is the best shop built tool in your shop?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 11:42 AM PDT

    The great thing about being a maker and woodworker is the not only the ability to make a thing but to fashion unique tools you don't have to make other things. Over the years I've proven to myself beyond doubt that building your own tool isn't necessarily cheaper, but it is more satisfying overall. (The same can be said of all woodworking) I figured I'd post some of the jigs and tools I've built first and others could post some of theirs. Which of your self-made tools is the most useful to you?

    Sometimes I build my own tools for increased precision, such as a jig for chiseling out the "knuckles" of a Roubo Bookstand, sometimes I just need a more economical means of storing tools in a small shop, or sometimes I have a slight need for something but end up having way too much fun building it to stop. I think I have just as much fun building up my shop and the tools in it as I do making anything else. but that's the hobby. Here are a few others:

    Small crosscut sled and a miter attachment.

    A smattering of other tools, including a Moxon vise, magnetic dovetail guides, and dovetail alignment board.

    I made a DIY vacuum pump specifically for vacuum bag veneering. It was a prime example of it being more expensive to build than buy, but whaddayagonnado?

    One of the best additions to my shop has been a 3D printer. Now I can get even more inventive and design things specifically for my needs and that fit perfectly that I might otherwise not be able to build. No one makes a sliding-gate siamese for your dust collection? No problem, a few hours in Fusion 360 and a lot more in print time and you're golden. This is the only thing in the woodshop I've taken pictures of, but I keep finding uses for it in my house and shop than my original intended purpose for it.

    So what are your favorite shop-made tools? Which ones should new woodworkers build for their fledgling shops?

    submitted by /u/Squeazle
    [link] [comments]

    First piece of furniture. A tv-bench that fits nicely in my corner. Very happy it came out like imagined.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    To clear up confusion. Hospitals and urgent cares are accepting unused portions of N95 masks. I had 13 out of 20 and a doctor told me to bring them in. I originally was hesitant because they aren’t individually sealed but they took them. If you got them call and set something up

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 01:48 PM PDT

    I built a shelf.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 05:39 AM PDT

    Made this bookshelf a little while back for a friend. Each piece is separate allowing you to arrange it however you want.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 08:39 AM PDT

    Finally finished up the built in wall unit

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    Running out of materials during quarantine. I call it: The Social Distancer - Defender of TP

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 02:27 PM PDT

    My girlfriend was unhappy with our cluttered foyer so I built her this shoe bench. She’s a happy camper now :)

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 09:35 AM PDT

    Time on the lathe... type of wood is “found on side of road, don’t ask” =)

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    Working on a the complicated drivetrain is taking a toll on my sanity. Decided to work on something a bit more silly today :)

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 05:40 AM PDT

    I finished my first kumiko panel

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    Finally finished my benches. No idea what I’ll make next though

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 09:42 PM PDT

    Bench and dining table I just finished building. Went for modern angles.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 07:24 AM PDT

    Finished my wife’s gift to celebrate 9 years of being together! This is my first project that actually ended up being decent, though I do want to get better.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    Purple Heart bowl.��

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 06:30 PM PDT

    My way of a mobile workbench :) What do you think? (Link of complete Video in the comments)

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    Toy Wooden Crane i made for my nephew. What do you guys think?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 06:06 AM PDT

    Coffee table, bar and bench build, still working on the bench backing white paint still needed and iron...

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 07:02 PM PDT

    Picked up some vintage socket chisels on eBay to restore. Most of the original handles were either missing or broken. I don't have a lathe so I made an attachment for my drill press to turn new maple handles. Also, I tried blueing for the first time.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 08:45 PM PDT

    Valet tray I made using white oak and red oak.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 12:55 PM PDT

    A dinosaur toy I made for my baby cousin. Made from the runner of a broken old sled.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    My second bowl ever - cutoff chunk of walnut burl

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 02:22 PM PDT

    Huge minifig for the kids

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    Made holder for my router bits

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    Just this commission. Not Mango wood, but tried to make it look as close to it as possible for the client. Feel like it came out kinda neat.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 05:36 PM PDT

    Finished a new handle for my espresso maker

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 05:14 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment